The buttery oatmeal almond crust is soft and chewy, the cherry preserves are wonderful with the sliced almonds. It was just perfect, absolutely perfect. Once again this is a recipe where the flavors can be switched out to suit your mood. Raspberry preserves, blueberry…whatever your taste buds are craving and do the same for the nuts. I hope you love these as much as we did. ENJOY!
Cherry Oatmeal Almond Bars
· 1 cup butter 2 sticks, softened
· 2 cups light brown sugar packed
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1 egg
· 1 teaspoon vanilla can use almond extract
· 2 cups all cake flour
· 2 cups regular oats
· 1/2 cup sliced almonds more for garnishing if desired
· 1 cup cherry preserves or any flavor fruit preserves, warmed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13x9 inch baking pan with foil, make the foil long enough to hang over edges of the pan. The overhang will be used to lift bars from the pan when cooled. Grease foil.
2. In a large bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth. Add brown sugar and baking powder, beat until well incorporated, scraping bowl as needed. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined. Gradually add the flour to the bowl and mix in as much as you can with the mixer. With a wooden spoon, mix in any remaining flour, the oats and almonds. Remove 1/2 cup of dough, reserve for the topping. Press the remaining dough into the bottom of your prepared baking pan.
3. In a small sauce pan, melt or just bring to warm the cherry preserves. It's easier to spread the preserves when they are warmed. Spread preserves over dough.
4. Crumble the reserved 1/2 cup topping over the preserves evenly.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until bars are lightly browned. Remove from oven onto cooling rack. Cool completely in pan. Using the foil over hang, lift and remove bars from the baking pan. Cut and serve.